Monday, December 21, 2009

Planting time!

On Sunday, (my last full day in the village) we had a little bit of rest. I think I slept in all the way until 5:30 and then luxuriated on my mat until about 6 am. When I got up we went about the daily chores in relaxed way, and we didn't head to the field at all. We did a little chatting, and some more shelling of groundnuts. After lunch, VH Tchale and I headed out to do a government census of Tchale village. We visited several houses and wrote down all of the occupants for the record. As we moved from house to house the wind picked up and soon we had thunder sounding overhead in regular cacophonous outbursts. We made a quick retreat back towards the house, but as we did the rain came pouring down. It rained, and rained, and rained. I think the rain pounded the earth for about an hour (when it rains here it's serious about it). The village was delighted, because the long and heavy rain meant that it was planting time.

The next morning, we woke early and headed out to the field that we'd been making ridges in. VH Tchale headed to the tobacco nursery (see the picture on the left) to pull up the young tobacco plants so that we could replant them in the field. (Side note: I'm not sure quite how I feel about planting tobacco, but it is the major cash crop for the entire area so the fruits of my labour may help pay the school fees for the two children Ida, and Chifundo.) We planted all morning long. I was relegated to one of the easy jobs - dropping the plants at specific intervals along the ridge so that someone coming along behind me could plant the young plant. The entire job was carried out very efficiently and very exactly. Each tobacco plant was spaced 60 cm from the previous plant, and it had to be exactly upright. I was utterly unable to plant the tobacco in the right way with the speed of the others so I was happy to do my easy job.

After a quick lunch VH Tchale was back at it planting maize in another field. Rain apparently means the work gets even more non-stop! Sadly, it was time for me pack up and head back into Lilongwe. I had a quick bath, said good-bye to the family, and headed toward the road to flag down a minibus that would take me back into the big city of Lilongwe. Definitely, my week in the village was a fantastic experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment