Thursday, October 1, 2009

Kamwala Market

Not far from where I stayed in Lusaka was Kamwala market. It is a big market where you can get just about anything, from lunch to a tailored outfit made just for you.

I went to the market several times with a few different EWB volunteers. The first time was with Arthur - the latest volunteer to arrive overseas. We ventured into the food part of the market and tried out some nsima. Nsima is made from maize flour, which is boiled until it can be formed into balls. The nsima itself is quite tasty, but it is primarily used as a vehicle to transport whatever else you are eating (called ndiwo) into your mouth. There are lots of excellent, delicious vegetarian options. Everyone seems to eat meat and vegetables with their nsima at every sitting.. and they eat nsima a lot. Most people in Malawi will have nsima for lunch and dinner. In fact, I've heard several people here say that you haven't eaten at all until you've eaten nsima. Me, I'm fairing quite well on one nsima meal a day.


The second trip into the market was with another volunteer, Colleen. We were on a mission to find some chitenges (colourful pieces of cloth with many, many uses). Kamwala market has several chitenge wholesalers, which meant we had an overwhelming selection of chitenges to choose from. The second part of our mission was to get some mending done. The tailors were more than happy to oblige us, and our mending was done in less than 5 minutes. Yay!

4 comments:

  1. Anna you are too good in unearthing life styles of all the places you are visiting.
    You can note that the lifestyles of Malawians,zimbabweans and zimbabweans are almost the same when it comes to food,funerals,weddings,etc.
    I would like also to let you aware that before 1959 all these countries were one under the British government and it was called the federation of Northern Rhodesia(ZAMBIA)Southern Rhodesia(Zimbabwe)and Nyasaland(Malawi) and this came to an end in 1959 by Dr Banda who was the first president of Malawi according to Malawian historians!
    So we are still one only that these power hungry people divided us and most people in these countries have family relatives else where in any of the three countries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady! Did I not put a request in for some more you pictures? How am I supposed to show your God daughter what you look like if we never see you. :)

    She now fits size 3 and can wear that little red hoodie you bought her. We're breaking it out for part of her little devil Hallowe'en costume. Miss you lots!

    Christie and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Steven KK. It's nice to know that there are people out there reading what I write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya Christie!

    Hmmm... I seem to remember that you did put in a request for pictures. I waiting for something that I like before I post it... I'll try to get something soonish... problem is I hardly ever use my camera to take pictures of me....

    And... I'm glad to hear that the red hoodie fits (finally). I was thinking about a year in advance... it was all planned out.

    Say hi to God daughter for me... and to your man. Miss you too!
    anna

    ReplyDelete