Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tuesday Veg Market in Lusaka

I've been absent for awhile! Last week, I prepared and helped to run a workshop on market facilitation. It was fun and exhausting, but I think that my co-workers enjoyed it.

Another volunteer and I took a long weekend and traveled north to enjoy the delights of Nkhata Bay... more on that later.

For now I thought I share some pictures from the Tuesday vegetable market that happens (strangely) once a week in Lusaka. The market was fun and delicious. There were lots of yummy spices. I had cashews for the first time since I've been here. Also, the vegetarians' delight: Chinnaka (quite possibly I've spelt that wrong). On first - and quite probably second - glance Chinnaka looks a lot like meat. When you buy it the Chinnaka selling lady slices a few chunks off a big warm block. The first time I bought it I asked several times if it was meat and I was reassured that it was definitely vegetable. It is made from ground peanuts and orchid tubers. It's delicious and to my very basic palate it tastes a lot like I think meat used to taste.

Enjoy the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment