Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Village Headman Tchale

To lead off my week of strong Malawian leaders I decided to choose Village Headman Tchale.

When I visited his village just over a week ago to catch up with him and his family he had just returned from a week in Lilongwe at Bunda College. He had been called to attend a conference for lead farmers in Malawi (lead farmers are those that work directly with government agricultural extension works to disseminate the latest in agricultural knowledge). At the conference, he had been taught about the use of organic manure (in addition to fertilizer). When I visited he had already created pits near his field which he will use to make manure. He was also planning how he is going to take this message to all of the other farmers in his village, and in the surrounding district. This is just one example of his tireless efforts as village headman. When I spent time in the village at the end of last year we planted hundred of trees as part of a tree nursery program that he was masterminding after hearing from the government about deforestation and climate change.

On top of all this he is an extremely warm, patient man. When I visited he was building a maize grainery (nkhokwe), which is traditionally men's work. But, Mr. Nthala (his title is Village Headman of Tchale Village) showed me how to do the work and let me try tying the grass to the structure using string made from a plant. (This process adds stability to the structure).

This year his harvests have been very good. He is hoping to finish the new house that he is building, and to put iron sheets on it. His big dream is to bring electricity to his home.

3 comments:

  1. This is an exciting update on the man who inspired a good part of our annual report Anna Marie! Thanks so much for this, I was truly excited to read how he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison!
    Thanks for the encouragement. This year's harvest seems to be a good one. I think he'll be able to buy new iron sheets for the family's new house this year (the walls have been in place for at least a year). The family's old roof is quite old (it leaks a bit), so they are very excited about the prospect of finishing and moving into their new home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading the post about Dorothy - love this! I am so glad to hear that they are doing well. Keep us all posted - I shared this post with the NO and on Facebook because I think its so great! Big hugs,

    A

    ReplyDelete