Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My host family

Thought that I share with you some pictures of my new host family... well not quite so new actually. I've been living with them for almost three weeks now. And, everything is going swimmingly.

First, the lovely Phyness. Phyness is Director of Programs for the north (the country is divided into three regions: north, centre, and south) at CNFA. Phyness started her career as a home economics instructor with the Malawian Ministry for Gender. While she was working for the government Phyness was offered the opportunity to go on several training courses. She's travelled to Ghana for training and taken a degree in Business Administration from Durham College in England (both through government, or NGO programs). In total, Phyness spent 20 years working for the Malawian government and finished her career there as assistant to the Minster for Foreign Affairs. In her various roles with the government Phyness has travelled to Japan, England, America (New York!), and throughout Africa. She's been taking very good care of me.

Next, the delightful Diverson. Diverson has become my running partner for the last two weeks. He is very kind and runs slowly for me so that I don't keel over too quickly. Diverson works for World Vision in the accounting department. He is working on his CFA (I'm not an accountant so I'm a little unsure of the correct set of letters I should put together there). Diverson is getting married this September so his attention is currently a little bit diverted from his studies. Along with the work that Diverson does for World Vision, he also raises chickens (mkuku) for meat, and chickens for eggs. Right now, we've got seven cute little chicks running around the yard (I just appreciate them now and try not to think about where they're headed).

Sylvia has quickly become a good friend, and she is an excellent Chichewa tutor (and translator when necessary). Sylvia has a degree in marketing and she has done some work at hotels in Lilongwe and at NGOs in Lilongwe. Currently, Sylvia is running her own business. She travels within Malawi buying goods (mainly clothes) where they are cheaper and then re-selling them where they are more costly. She also travels to South Africa once a month to buy clothes, handbags, and requested items for resale in Malawi (this seems to be a fairly common practise - lots of things are available in South Africa that don't seem to be readily available here). Sylvia is a fantastic cook and she wants to open her own restaurant or guesthouse some day.

Finally, Bob! Bob and I communicate in a pretty basic fashion. I speak very little Chichewa and he speaks even less English. On the days when Diverson is away (for work) Bob and I run together. Bob is even faster than Diverson (apparently he played soccer when he was younger) and so now I can say 'slowly', and 'I'm tired' in Chichewa. Bob is almost as new at the house as I am. He cooks and cleans for the family and is in general a very nice guy to be around. His wife and new baby will be coming to stay with us next week.

That's it for now. This weekend is a long weekend and I'm heading to Blantyre to climb Mt. Mulanje. It is supposed to be beautiful. I'll update you next week!

2 comments:

  1. It's good to see you are likeing where you are staying and the people you are with. I look forward to reading more!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How was the hike up Mt. Mulanje??? I hope you post pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete